The Time Where I Stayed in a Haunted Hotel in Penang, Malaysia

It was right after my graduation, On Sunday 29th May 2022. My two friends and I planned to stay in Penang for a night before we head back to our hometowns. Around 5.00 pm we left Sungai Petani. On the way to Penang, we suddenly got an email that our hotel booking has an error regarding the payment. It was never too late to cancel and book a new hotel but we didn't. We were so excited about the hotel not knowing about its history of it. After reaching Penang Island, we continuously have unfortunate moments like errors in the GPS, missing wallets, and many more. We took all of that as a grain of salt. We planned to have our dinner in Ananda Bhavan in little India. While we having our dinner we still had our conversation regarding changing to a different hotel. However, we still insist to stay in that haunted hotel. 

I am not going to mention the name of the hotel because I really don't want to ruin someone's business because of my story. However, I can give you a hint about where this hotel is located. The hotel is located in Tanjung Tokong, Penang. It is an old hotel nearby the sea. 

Around 8.00pm we reached the hotel and parked the car. As soon as I entered the hotel, a Malay lady was there to help us check in at the reception. We paid our payments. However, something odd happened. She didn't ask for a deposit. A hotel as big as that didn't ask for any deposit made me question the condition of the hotel. I just let it go and we get into the lift. I felt that the hotel lift has locked on the 7th floor. Our room was on the 8th floor, Room 804. We walked the hallway and our room was situated at the end. The hallway was oddly dim and dirty. I didn't get a good vibe from the hallway itself. As soon as we approached our room, The room beside ours Room 805 has its door opened with lights off and there was no one in that room. I got a very creepy feeling out of it. When we standing in front of our room, I immediately got a cold airbrushing my bare toes as if the windows were open or the air conditioning was switched on. We used the access card to unlock our room several times and we failed to open the door. After a few trials, we managed to unlock the door and entered the room. We slide our card into the slot given and the lights were all on.

My first impression of the room is dusty and dirty, and no ventilation at all. I really the room is not bright and welcoming. The curtains are dusty, and the bedding sheets were filthy with lipstick stains, bloodstains on sheets and headboards, ants, and even pubic hairs. It was super disgusting and the pillow smelled like stale saliva. Honestly, the hotel is not cheap and just to be clear it is not a budget hotel or motel. The kettle was old and full of ants, the sliding door to the balcony is not working, the bathroom has dim light and the complementary soap and shampoo is used and almost empty. Let's not even talk about the towel. I absolutely felt devastated and I started to freak out about how I'm going to sleep in that bed tonight.  I can assure you this room is not in use for at least 6 months. 

Okay, enough of me being so picky about the cleanliness, as soon as I entered the room, I can feel the vibes of the room is negative. I don't really feel it has a good vibe and when I entered the bathroom to take a shower, I felt someone is there watching me. It was really uncomfortable. I was thinking I am overthinking, my friends felt the same way too. We were spending time together talking in the lobby and in the room. We didn't realize that time flies really fast. It was around 1.30am we went up to our room to sleep. We had a hard time falling asleep. I really couldn't bear the tension in the room and my intuition kept on asking me to get out of the room. Around 2.00am, I gave up and I called my friend to change the hotel. We literally called every hotel in the middle of the night to check-in, but it was all too expensive. So, I told my friends that I am going to sleep in the lobby, hence my friends followed me to the lobby to sleep. We slept there for at least 1 hour plus and the receptionist noticed us but didn't approach us to ask if we need any help. I started to feel warm and sweaty, so I called my friend back to the room. Around 3.30am, I really decided to sleep because I have no choice. I was wearing my earphone and hiding under the smelly blanket. I didn't use their pillow. In the morning, I woke up around 7.30am. I went to see the sea view from my room from that locked sliding door to the balcony. When my friend randomly opened the sliding door again, it was unlocked effortlessly. We were shocked and we were really speechless. We sat there and discussed our last night's unpleasant experiences and we got to know someone we know who also stayed in that same hotel and checked out in the middle of the night on that same day because there are too much of paranormal disturbances. Although our experience is not as tragic as theirs, we still had a very unpleasant stay there. 

A few days later, when I told my brother about the hotel, he discuss the matter with a fellow Penangites who lived there for the past 35 years in Penang. It seems the hotel was really old and it is well known for suicidal spots, murders, and even police encounters due to the high drug dealership in that hotel. The Penangites know about that hotel and rarely do they stay there. Most of the people who stay there are from other states or countries. The Seaview we enjoyed was apparently The Andaman Island. However, it was the same spot where Tsunami hit the hotel. Apparently, all the floors are haunted, especially the 7th floor and that explains the locked 7th floor in the lift. 


2 comments

  1. Discover 52 Sundaze, your go-to for all-day sun care. Explore our premium SPF lineup, including the world's first Rose Water SPF50 Mist that's Perfect for Reapplication. Embrace skincare that's easy, effective, and designed for everyday glow. Your perfect SPF awaits – because, we're all about sun care, done right.

    52 Sundaze: SPF Made Simple | Vegan Skincare Sunscreens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this wonderful post. Visit our xero degrees cafe if you are looking for good food near you.

    ReplyDelete